Home Go to Intuition & Symbols
So Sensitive?! Why Sensitivity Is A Gift
by Carolyn Coleridge, LCSW
Editor's Note from Sophia Hansen: This article will be a welcome read for all of you sensitive intuitives out there. How many times were you called "thin-skinned," "too sensitive," or told to "toughen up"? If you were, then this article is a breath of fresh air for you. I'm definitely printing this one out and keeping it handy for future reference and will be sharing it with my Sensitive friends!
You are too sensitive. Don't be so sensitive! Many people on the spiritual path have heard this criticism over and over again. It is usually meant as a put-down to someone who has a high sense of intuition and a sixth sense 'knowing'. This comment is usually stated with disdain and contempt as a major flaw in an individual's personality. In fact many lightworkers have heard these words, especially as children and it has caused them to close down this gift. "Toughen up..you need thicker skin", usually follows as a comment quickly after to shame and dismiss the individuals' perceptions.
Sensitives are usually quite gifted intuitive spirits as they pick up the less perceived sensations of life. Lightworkers on the planet have heard this comment a lot because they are generally trying to raise their vibrations as they evolve towards spiritual mastery. If you are on a conscious spiritual path you become more intuitive. Intuition, I believe, is God's voice. To hear it you must be sensitive. Spirit speaks to us daily in quiet synchronistic whispers. Sensitives have the ability to perceive the subtle nuances of truth in the physical plane. Hopefully they pick these signals up, follow them and begin to connect to their soul's conscious growth and begin to live more fulfilling and abundant lives.
Lightworkers, who are Spiritual teachers and healers, or those seeking truth, have a conscious plan to raise the vibration of the planet and bring in more positive qualities of kindness, goodness, love and compassion. They also have to balance the warring yin and yang energies that are on the planet. Yin, the more feminine principle is receptive, intuitive, nurturing and healing. Yang the more active principle is assertive, pioneering, instinctual and creative. When harmonious, these energies dance together manifesting birth and death, darkness and light. In conflict they create, evil, abuse, terror and chaos. You must have both energies co-creating to move toward wholeness in the physical realm.
As a psychotherapist and healer for the last ten years, I have noticed that sensitive people are often the ones who are emotionally abused by others. Their sensitivity is viewed as a weakness. Intuitive sensitives are sometimes the kinder spirits who fight for animals' rights, want to spread peace or speak out against child abuse. Since they have been criticized for just being who they are, they often close down and lead sad isolated lives of denying emotions in their soul. The bullies and the abusers, entities that are heralding the dark energies, don't want to lose their ego oriented existence, so they harass the sensitives so they can keep the veil of darkness alive. The ego thrives on chaos. The sensitives are here to pull the curtain back on the wizard, to reveal the trickster and shine a light on the darkness. Mother Earth and Father God are asking us to start speaking the truth to restore heaven on earth. It is the mission of many, you have heard the call, now it is time to honor your gift of sensitivity. Sensitive people will bring this planet towards a higher vibration. So we need the armies of sensitives to trust their guts, create their dreams, fulfill their missions and listen to the intuitive voice of God and not the abusive voice of the darkness. You were made sensitive for reason, be proud of it!
The universe is supporting you, but sensitives must protect themselves from the harsh energies on the planet. Here are some easy ways to do this.
1) Trust your Gut and start to believe the still small voice that is inside of you. Praise yourself when you intuit something and you were right. Always honor your spirit.
2) Speak your truth. Sensitives must not hold in their emotions. It becomes toxic to their bodies as negative feelings lay dormant in the body temple. Let out the negativity in constructive healing ways.
3) Protect yourself from negative energies. This can be removing toxic people from your life. Getting out of abusive relationships or situations. Trying to be more positive and inspiring to others instead of critical and pessimistic.
4) Meditate regularly, with grounding exercises. Meditation raises your vibrations and heightens your intuition. You begin to get stronger with your gut instincts and receive more messages on how to create your life purpose. As you live your life purpose, you feel less tired and depressed and more uplifted. Your sensitivity becomes a gift as you now have a focus and reason for being here.
5) Connect with God. Say prayers and ask God questions. What do you want me to learn today? What is the higher purpose of this? How can I serve? God likes to hear us speak to him/her. I believe he created us so she could see his/her own expression and become more inspired… so don't leave him hanging!
6) Receive energy work. Reiki, pranic healing, acupuncture, or massage. Sensitives must work with their energies and remove toxins that build up in their energy fields. It is like a shower for your auric field. Sage and incense also clears energy in your home, since sensitives have a tendency to be psychic sponges, you need to remove the maladaptive energies. Don't forget about getting into nature, a great energy clearer.
7) Find your life purpose. You are sensitive for one reason..to hear the source. God has a plan for everyone on this planet and it mostly coincides with yours. The more sensitive you are the more likely you have a heightened antennae to the source. Don't cloud that transmission. Tune in to KGOD- Keep Good Open Dialogue. It's a great Radio station that can help you feel fulfilled -. receive your daily inspirational messages.
8) Keep the Yin and Yang Balanced, especially the qualities of Gratitude and Forgiveness. Gratitude, puts you in a positive space to attract better outcomes. And like the Yin energy, pulls in better life outcomes. Forgiveness is about actively releasing negative energy. To give forth. The yang is about actively releasing stagnant emotions. Energy must be in balance for lightworkers and sensitives. There has to be a flow. Leave the swamps for the egoic alligators of the world. Stuck in their own muck.
With the light acceleration on the planet, sensitivity is absolutely necessary to listen and pull down the higher vibrations. These vibrations are full of light and love and of beautiful qualities .To be an open channel to divine expression, whether it be art, music, writing or inspiration you must be sensitive. So next time, someone criticizes you by saying, "You are so sensitive!" Say yes, I need to be to hear God's voice, it is the quiet whisper on the planet and I don't want to miss my loving instructions. Unlike you I don't want to mute the sound! Okay you can be a little nicer than that, but they will get the point. Yes I am soo sensitive that I hear and live the truth. Much love and blessings lightworkers!
Please "Add a Comment" at the bottom of this page or blog in our Forum here.
Please do not use apostrophes in your comments.
About the Author
Carolyn Coleridge, MSW, is a Spiritual Intuitive Counselor and Healer, with 10 years experience. She is available for Counseling Sessions, readings and healing work. She is a member of The Association for Comprehensive Energy Psychology (ACEP) and Healing Consultant @UCLA Pediatric Pain Clinic. Contact her at 323-954-6895 or visit her website at intuitivesoulhealing.com.