Home Visit Healing Recipes Go to Holistic Nutrition
Good Foods Your Thought...
by Roby Mictchell, MD
Editor's Note from Neda Smith: There is so much controversy on what to eat, what is considered healthy and which foods can cause weight gain. We have been following a specific dogma for the past 30-40 years that is considered to be "healthy", but yet we are gaining more and more weight each year. There are more obese adults and now even children than ever in our lifetime. Dr. Roby Mitchell covers some of the great foods to incorporate into your diet. You won't be confused anymore.
Much of the health information people go by is not based on science but hunches. For instance, since cholesterol was found in blocked arteries, scientist had a hunch that reducing dietary cholesterol was the way to prevent heart attacks. Turns out that the cholesterol in your diet has no link to heart disease but the amount of sugar you eat does. Other hunches have turned out to be wrong also. I list below some foods you may have been told were bad which are not.
1) Eggs - Because of their cholesterol content, eggs were on the bad food list for some time. Eggs are actually an excellent protein source and don't raise cholesterol. The carotenoid lutein is found in egg yolks. This pigment has been shown to reduce heart disease. Get eggs from range fed chickens.
2) Coffee - Coffee has been blamed for causing high blood pressure and heart disease. If you are caffeine sensitive or have fibrocystic breast disease, you should limit your intake of caffeinated coffee. Otherwise, coffee is shown to reduce your chances of diabetes, pancreatic/breast/prostate cancer, and dementia. Coffee does not make the body "acidic" and it does not reduce adrenal function. Adding creamers, sugar and artificial sweeteners to coffee reduces its health benefits.
3) Chocolate - Milk chocolate that is loaded with sugar is bad for you. Milk chocolate is chocolate that has been refined to remove the healthful antioxidants/antifungals. Antifungals that plants make are very healthful for you but they have a bitter taste. Choose chocolate that is 70% or more unrefined cacao, the bean from which chocolate is made. This type chocolate improves blood flow, mood and supports stronger erections in men.
4) Alcohol - Obviously too much alcohol is bad for your health. However, regular, moderate use of red wine has been unequivocally shown to improve the health of blood vessels. Wines using other small dark berries such a cranberry, blueberry and pomegranate are showing up on shelves. These may be even better for your health than wines made with red grapes.
5) Nuts - Many people avoid nuts because of the fat calories. Nuts have what we call "good fat". This type fat staves off hunger and can actually help with weight loss. Nuts are a great portable snack and can have a very positive impact on health. Most healthful are: Pistachios (get unshelled and eat the skin), black walnuts, almonds and pecans. Get them unsalted. Peanuts are not a nut. They are a legume that is heavily stored in large silos and polluted with fungicides.
6) Yeast/fungus - You may have heard it from me early on. Many of us had a hunch that sense overgrowth of Candida yeast causes so many health problems, this would be true of all yeast/fungus. Not true. There are good/bad yeast just as there are good/bad bacteria. There are many fungi we actually promote for boosting the immune system. Quorn is a protein product made from fungus that is an excellent meat substitute.
7) Coconut milk - There is a myth that the fat in coconut milk will raise cholesterol. Coconut milk and coconut water are 2 of the healthiest beverages you can consume. The fat in coconut milk kills Candida yeast. Use it for cooking and in your coffee.
8) Avocados -This is another food often shunned because of its fat content. Avocados also have the "good fat". They also contain beta sistosterol, a plant molecule shown to lower cholesterol and improve prostate function. A great dessert is to mash up ripe avocado with your favorite dark berry and add cinnamon.
9) Butter - Real butter is good for you. Margarine made of hydrogenated fats is not. The clarified butter used by Indians known as ghee is also good for you.
10) Whole milk - The myth is that skim milk will help you lose weight because it has less calories from fat. The truth is that skim milk causes more weight gain because it raises blood sugar faster. This causes the fat storage hormone insulin to be produced. How much insulin you produce determines how much fat you store. Use raw milk rather than pasteurized.
Please "Add a Comment" at the bottom of this page or blog in our Forum here.
Please do not use apostrophes in your comments.
About the Author
Dr. Roby Mitchell graduated with honors from Texas Tech University School of Medicine in Lubbock, Texas. Dr. Mitchell voluntarily surrendered his Texas Medical license in 2005 after realizing the corruptness of an industry that has no concern for the health of Americans. Dr. Mitchell now consults world wide with other physicians, nurses and pharmacists interested in transitioning their patients on to regimens that take them off drugs and on to healthful regimens using nutrition, exercise, bio-identical hormone replacement, and targeted supplements. A center piece of this education is training other professionals to proctor his Weight is Over program which reverses diabetes, high blood pressure and other consequences managed unsuccessfully with dangerous drug therapies. He also continues to serve patients with nutritional/lifestyle counseling and education on bio-identical hormone replacement. He can found at www.drfitt.com, as well as www.facebook.com/roby.mitchell.