Home Go to Herbalism
Guduchi–The Nectar of Life
by Chandana Deekshith, BAMS, MD (AM), FCR
Editor's Note from Chandana Deekshith: Guduchi is a glabrous creeper with aerial roots, juicy heart shaped (cordate) leaves and small yellow flowers. According to Ayurveda, it is said to balance all 3 doshas/humor (vata, pitta & kapha). Read this article and know more about its constituents, parts used, actions, uses, dosage and precautions.
Tinospora Cordifolia is an ancient climbing shrub which belongs to Menispermaceae family commonly grown in India, SriLanka and Myanmar. It is a very popular Ayurvedic herb known for its health benefits. As it protects the body against diseases, and promotes longevity it is called Guduchi and Vayastha in Sanskrit respectively.
Giloin, tinosporin, tinosporine, tinosporide, tinosporaside, cordifolide, cordifol, heptacosanol, clerodane furano diterpene, diterpenoid furanolactone tinosporidine, columbin and b-sitosterol.
All parts of the plant are used for different medicinal purposes. But stem of guduchi is used widely.
Immuno-modulator, Anti-oxidant, Anti-inflammatory, Anti-pyretic, Anti-periodic, Anti-spasmodic, Hepato-protective, Cholagogue, Detoxicant, Aphrodisiac, Nervine tonic, Diuretic, Anthelminthic and according to recent studies it is said to have Anti-neoplastic (anti-cancer) action too.
* Helps in detoxification of the body.
* Reduces chronic cough by strengthening the lungs.
* Excellent remedy for digestive problems like hyperacidity, indigestion, irritable bowel syndrome, diarrhoea, and all sorts of stomach aches.
* A drug of choice for all Liver Diseases like hepatitis, hepatic fibrosis etc.
* Ayurveda lauds Guduchi as a cardiac tonic.
* Used to cure erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation.
* Has got the ability to increase sperm count and motility.
* Best herb for chronic urinary tract infection. Being a diuretic, it also eliminates urinary stones.
* Helps to cure gout by eliminating excess uric acid from the body.
* Useful in rheumatoid arthritis and other inflammatory joint conditions.
* Aids to increase the effectiveness of white blood cells, thus boosting the immune system and curing all sorts of infections. Therefore, it is regarded as the best herb to for auto-immune disorders.
* A tonic for all sorts of fever.
* Used in skin conditions like psoriasis, eczema and acne. It also prevents skin infections.
* Promotes longevity, delays the ageing process, enhances memory and increases strength of the body.
* Ayurveda considers it as a best rejuvenator of mind and body.
Powder-1-3grams. It can be taken with honey/ghee/jaggery.
As per studies, Guduchi has no significant adverse effects, but prolonged usage may induce mild constipation.
Please "Add a Comment" at the bottom of this page or blog in our Forum here.
Please do not use apostrophes in your comments.
About the Author
Chandana Deekshith, BAMS, MD (AM), FCR (India), ATH Co-Editor of Herbalism, is the Founder and Director of Ayur Healing, a holistic site for complete well-being, with an intention to provide health and wellness and to empower the populace with the knowledge of Body-Mind-Soul medicine. This project is a meager attempt at giving back to the community.
She is a native of India and at present, she resides in Toronto, Canada. She is more involved in propagating and promoting Ayurveda and holistic medicine world-wide.
Her voyage of studying, teaching and practicing holistic medicine began in 2003. Her quest for knowledge and inquisitive nature made her go deep into the subjects and to understand the usage of herbs for healing, as well as treating the body as a whole, and not merely the disease. She has been providing herbal solutions for most chronic problems of this era. She has successfully treated many patients in her own clinic in Bangalore and Pune, India with Ayurvedic medicine, Panchakarma, Yoga, meditation and lifestyle changes. She teaches her clients to heal by themselves. She is actively involved in the research of Ayurvedic herbs. She has formulated energy drink powders, herbal teas and baby foods.
She conducts Whole-Body healing workshops, Ayurvedic cooking classes and mantra chanting classes. She loves to educate people and elevate awareness regarding HOLISTIC HEALING.
Her vision and mission is to make people understand the strong bond between Body-Mind-Soul, and help them to rejuvenate body, revive mind, and reform soul through herbal medicine and elemental mantra meditation.
Visit her blog: http://ayurhealing.wordpress.com
Visit her Facebook page: Ayur Healing