Home Go to Herbalism
Asparagus-Boon for Women
by Chandana Deekshith, BAMS, MD (AM), FCR (India),
Editor's Note: Asparagus is a climbing shrub which can be grown in any good garden soil. Shatavari kalpa, a well-known Ayurvedic formulation of Asparagus is used to treat an array of ailments especially used as a galactogogue. And it is available in market as granules and gives good results if taken with milk.
The herb Asparagus belongs to family Liliaceae and the Latin name is Asparagus racemosus. In Ayurveda, it is called as Shatavari (one who possesses hundred husbands and also that which cures 100 diseases) and Shatamuli (plant with 100 roots). Shatavari strengthens the female reproductive system, enhances female fertility and maintains health of women.
Alkaloids – asparagamine, Steroidal Saponins – shatavarin and Polysaccharides.
Roots and leaves.
Anti-inflammatory, aphrodisiac, anti-spasmodic, antacid, anti-tumor, haemostatic, adaptogen, anti-fungal, demulcent, diuretic, galactogogue, female reproductive tonic, nutritive, rejuvenator, laxative, spermatogenic and immuno-modulator.
* Enhances fertility and prevents miscarriage by nourishing and strengthening female reproductive organs.
* Useful in decreased libido, threatened miscarriage, leucorrhea, menorrhagia dysmenorrhea and menstrual irregularity.
* As it supplies oestrogen hormone and balances female hormonal system, it is good for women with menopausal problems and for those who have had hysterectomy and oophorectomy.
* Helps to relieve PMS (premenstrual syndrome) symptoms.
* Great galactogogue (increases the production of breast milk in lactating women).
* Good post-partum tonic.
* Best herb for the treatment of impotency, low sperm count, spermatorrhea and sexual debility in men.
* Cures hyperacidity, gastric ulcers, colitis, and crohn’s disease because of its anti- inflammatory and demulcent properties.
* As it soothes the membranes of respiratory tract, it is quite useful in treating chronic dry cough, sore throat and bronchitis.
* Useful in hematuria and dysuria.
* Excellent rejuvenator of the body and a nervine tonic too.
* Benefits eyesight.
* Effective hemostatic-cold potency of Shatavari helps to stop all sorts of bleeding (systemic and local) by constricting the blood vessels.
* Improves skin tone.
* Shatavari stimulates macrophage action and thus helps to combat various candida infections.
Powder: 3-6gms with milk
It is believed to be safe for long term use, even during pregnancy and lactation.
Please "Add a Comment" at the bottom of this page or blog in our Forum here.
Please do not use apostrophes in your comments.
About the Author
Chandana Deekshith, BAMS, MD (AM), FCR (India), is the Founder and Director of Ayur Healing, a holistic site for complete well-being, with an intention to provide health and wellness and to empower the populace with the knowledge of Body-Mind-Soul medicine. This project is a meager attempt at giving back to the community.
She is a native of India and at present, she resides in Toronto, Canada. She is more involved in propagating and promoting Ayurveda and holistic medicine world-wide.
Her voyage of studying, teaching and practicing holistic medicine began in 2003. Her quest for knowledge and inquisitive nature made her go deep into the subjects and to understand the usage of herbs for healing, as well as treating the body as a whole, and not merely the disease. She has been providing herbal solutions for most chronic problems of this era. She has successfully treated many patients in her own clinic in Bangalore and Pune, India with Ayurvedic medicine, Panchakarma, Yoga, meditation and lifestyle changes. She teaches her clients to heal by themselves. She is actively involved in the research of Ayurvedic herbs. She has formulated energy drink powders, herbal teas and baby foods.
She conducts Whole-Body healing workshops, Ayurvedic cooking classes and mantra chanting classes. She loves to educate people and elevate awareness regarding HOLISTIC HEALING.
Her vision and mission is to make people understand the strong bond between Body-Mind-Soul, and help them to rejuvenate body, revive mind, and reform soul through herbal medicine and elemental mantra meditation.
Visit her blog: http://ayurhealing.wordpress.com
Visit her Facebook page: Ayur Healing