Home Go to Family & Parenting
Help Your Child Discover Her What
The One Thing She Was Born To Do
by Steve Olsher
Editor's Note: Helping our children connect to their purpose in life is one of our highest roles as mentors/guides in this world. We also avoid LOTS of unnecessary power struggles when we respect and listen to our children's souls to lead the way. Here Steve Olsher offers us some wonderfully specific and practical ways to help our child stay focused on how their light wants to shine in this world. Let us know what you think!
As a parent, there’s nothing we want more for our child, outside of being healthy, than for her to be happy, fulfilled, and live a life of contribution which adds meaningful value to others.
But, how can you help facilitate this? So many children (and adults for that matter) meander through life and never identify their unique, innate talent.
To help your child realize true contentment, it’s imperative that you teach her to heed the inherent blueprint that naturally exists. Within this blueprint, your child will discover her WHAT—the one thing she was born to do. And, once revealed, everything else (almost magically) falls into place.
With college (and, for some, private school) being the single most expensive investment of time, energy, and money your family will make, a solid return is mandatory. The days of choosing which school to attend using the same process as we select candy bars (what looks good, what you can afford, what your friends like, what your parents insist upon, etc.) are over.
The last thing you want is for your child to dedicate years to something in which she has no genuine interest and to leave school with a lack of clarity as to what’s next. Getting your child on path EARLY to identifying what she is compelled to do is crucial.
To help your child discover her WHAT, there are six proactive steps you can immediately take:
1. Identify what she absolutely loves. Like magnets, we are naturally drawn to certain things and repulsed by others. Discuss her favorite toys, books, movies, and TV shows. Open an honest dialogue about what she finds appealing and look for commonalities among what she is attracted to.
2. Identify what she loathes. The soul doesn’t lie. Trying to force a square peg into a round hole will only result in pain. She knows what she is attracted to and what repels her.
3. Provide an hour of free time and let her make suggestions about what to do. By giving her the freedom to choose, she will suggest the activities she enjoys most.
4. Discuss family members, friends, teachers, coaches, spiritual leaders, etc. and the character traits they display. Talk about what she finds appealing and unappealing. Interestingly, what we admire in others most directly reflects what we want for ourselves and our own natural inclinations.
5. Look for moments when she accomplished something she put her mind to and discuss these with her. What was it about these moments that encouraged her to excel? Someone? Something? As Tony Robbins says, “Success leaves clues.” Within these victories lie the keys to unlocking her full potential.
6. Compile the information from these five steps and make a list. Immerse her in the activities she loves, surround her with the people she identified as being of positive influence, and weed out those activities (unless, of course they’re daily chores) that do not serve her well.
Ultimately, what your child loves to do will float to the surface. This process takes time and there will certainly be moments of hit or miss.
The bottom line is that we are each put on this planet to do one amazing thing and it is our responsibility as parents to help cultivate that which our child is naturally drawn to. Your child wants to discover her WHAT. By following these proactive steps, you have significantly increased the odds of her finding it.
Please "Add a Comment" at the bottom of this page or blog in our Forum here.
Please do not use apostrophes in your comments.
About the Author
Known as America's Reinvention Expert, Steve Olsher is the co-star of the ground-breaking film, The Keeper of the Keys, Founder of the Reinvention Workshop, Host of Reinvention Radio, Author of USA Book News' "Self-Help Book of The Year" Journey To You: A Step-by-Step Guide to Becoming Who You Were Born to Be, and an in-demand media guest who has appeared on ABC, Fox TV and more than 200 radio shows. To learn more, and for your FREE eBook copy of Journey To You: A Step-by-Step Guide to Becoming Who You Were Born to Be, visit www.JourneyToYou.com.